Re: Regression, testing new realeases, repositories

> On Fri, 2019-09-06 at 09:38 -0400, Danny Lee wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I have a question related to regression and testing updates that I was
> > hoping somebody might have the time to answer.  Thankfully, @kalev was
> > kind enough to give me an overview of whats going on this test in Bodhi
> > https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2019-18f7fc4f08 but I
> > have further questions that I thought I'd bring to the mailing list.
> >
> > Please treat me like a long-experienced (mostly windows) computer
> > user/troubleshooter, who has never studied CS and only knows fragments
> > of programming languages at this point in time.  I used unixes back in
> > the 90s, but never became overly skilled/knowledgeable.  I've started
> > watching/listening to videos on regression testing and I think I
> > understand the overall concept.
> >
> > That all being said, I thank you for your patience, and the point of my
> > email is that I have questions related to the practical next steps for
> > this type of test -
> >
> > Question 1:
> >
> >     Part A: I installed the .iso at
> >     https://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org/compose/branched/latest-Fedora-31/compose/Workstation/x86_64/iso/
> >     into a virtual machine (vmware) and started running tests.  I ran
> >     into some errors, so would I now go into
> >     https://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org/compose/branched/ and download
> >     the latest branch prior to the 'latest-Fedora-31'?
> >
> >     Part B: Could I switch my repository inside the installed system to
> >     /etc/yum/repos.d/fedora.repo and uninstall Gnome Desktop (GD) and
> >     then reinstall the GD from that repo and test to see if it worked
> >     previously?
>
> This is a bit tricky if you're thinking in terms of regression testing,
> because there isn't exactly a 'known good' base for Fedora 31, or
> anything. The way Fedora development works is that we have a constantly
> rolling development distribution, Rawhide, which has no real formal
> quality requirements so it can be (and sometimes is) completely broken.
> New releases are branched from Rawhide periodically and then 'refined'
> to meet the quality requirements for stable releases. So a given
> release starts out in a nearly-unknown, potentially completely-broken
> state and, on average, gets 'better' until it's good enough to release.
> So there's no reason that any of the earlier snapshots you find there
> will necessarily be better than the current one, though one may
> *happen* to be.
>
> For testing an update in updates-testing, if you're thinking in
> 'regression' terms, the key question is "do things work better with
> this update installed than without it". If installing an update makes
> things *worse* than before, then it should probably get a -1.

Just to follow up a bit further on the comments in the bug that
confused you - what @kalev asked you is basically what I suggested
above: "are the bugs you hit bugs that only appear after installing the
update, or were they present before you installed the update too".

When he refers to 'F31 stable' he means 'whatever's currently in the
main Fedora 31 repository'. That isn't really "stable" in the technical
sense of the word, but we tend to call it 'stable' for want of a better
term. When the updates testing system (Bodhi) is active, builds first
go to the 'updates-testing' repository where you get them and provide
feedback in Bodhi, then when they get enough positive feedback (or wait
long enough) they are 'pushed stable', which for Branched means they
move from the 'updates-testing' repository to the 'fedora' repository,
and we tend to refer to packages in there as what's 'stable'.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey