Regression, testing new realeases, repositories

Hello all,

I have a question related to regression and testing updates that I was hoping somebody might have the time to answer.  Thankfully, @kalev was kind enough to give me an overview of whats going on this test in Bodhi https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2019-18f7fc4f08 but I have further questions that I thought I'd bring to the mailing list.

Please treat me like a long-experienced (mostly windows) computer user/troubleshooter, who has never studied CS and only knows fragments of programming languages at this point in time.  I used unixes back in the 90s, but never became overly skilled/knowledgeable.  I've started watching/listening to videos on regression testing and I think I understand the overall concept.

That all being said, I thank you for your patience, and the point of my email is that I have questions related to the practical next steps for this type of test -

Question 1:

Part A: I installed the .iso at https://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org/compose/branched/latest-Fedora-31/compose/Workstation/x86_64/iso/ into a virtual machine (vmware) and started running tests.  I ran into some errors, so would I now go into https://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org/compose/branched/ and download the latest branch prior to the 'latest-Fedora-31'?

Part B: Could I switch my repository inside the installed system to /etc/yum/repos.d/fedora.repo and uninstall Gnome Desktop (GD) and then reinstall the GD from that repo and test to see if it worked previously?

Question 2:

Part A: In filing a bug reports for issues like these, what is standard operating procedure for where to send the bug (wiki/web links welcome here).  Do I file upstream and at redhat bugzilla first and then upstream after some period of time?  Or do I file upstream first or both?

Part B:  I received the command 'journalctl -a -b' as something to comb through, and adding screenshots, but is there anything else that you (testers and bug-fixers) might want in your bug reports to help make the issue clearer from the start?

Once again, thank you for your patience and insights, and thanks to @kalev for your help.  It is all much appreciated in trying to get over this learning curve :)

Sincerely,

Danny

--
Danny Lee  <dreamer@xxxxxxxxx>
I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is not enough;