Re: btrfs

On 8/28/19 3:13 PM, pmkellly@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

I've probably misunderstood some of this. Please feel free to let me know where my mistakes are.

The btrfs filesystem has been in development for years. It entered into the kernel in 2009. Red Hat even had an engineer working on it, but he left to go work at other large tech firms. Red Hat has not replaced him.

As far as the technical side of things btrfs sounds better, but in reality it still has teething issues. I've been bit by data loss by it and haven't used it since. There are other, more interesting filesystems that should be given attention to instead. The f2fs file system comes to mind. At the end of the day any of the top choices (ext4, xfs, f2fs, btrfs) are indistinguishable for desktop users with the advent of SSD / NVME drives. Pick a widely supported one (ext4, xfs) and forget about it.

Anyways, welcome to Fedora. Large discussion threads are a once a quarter type of adventure so do not feel too overwhelmed.

Regards,
Michael