btrfs

I have been following the btrfs discussion with great interest. What I knew about btrfs until a few hours ago was zero, but even in that state I learned more about Fedora and the folks that work on it. I am very impressed with the energy everyone brought to the discussion. From my view I really appreciate being, even in a small way, associated with a project where the folk involved have such a high level of commitment and try so hard to make the right thing happen.

Today I decided that I should know at least a little about btrfs. After I looked around a bit I found:

https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Main_Page

From what I read btrfs certainly sounds like it will be the successor to ext4, et al. from what I read it looks like those who will need it most are those doing Clouds and huge databases. The efficiencys in operation will certainly help time performance, but I've read in other places that in applications where spinning disks are being used that the time advantages will be masked by the slower storage performance. There seem to be additional data safety measures that most folks can benefit from.

btrfs is still heavily under development, but that seems to be under control at this point.

Based on all of the above, I get the impression, that btrfs won't be a big advantage for folks running their individual PCs at this time, but in the foreseeable future there could be a big demand for btrfs on the server side. Then as the PC base moves away from spinning disks there may be some pull from the desktop / laptop users.

I've probably misunderstood some of this. Please feel free to let me know where my mistakes are.

	Have a Great Day!

	Pat	(tablepc)