Re: Cups, SMB and passwords

On 4/17/19 12:21 AM, berend.de.schouwer@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hi,

In F30, does anyone else have a problem printing to network printers that require passwords?  I've got a work printer that uses SMB and has a password prompt, but authentication no longer works.

I get a popup that says "authentication required", and in gnome settings -> devices -> printers -> the printer; there's a "Authenticate" drop down, but the actual action is greyed out.

Used to work in F29.

Okay, not what you asked, but I find printing to SMB to be a big
pain in the neck.  I use LPR/LPD and have no problems.  It
just works everywhere.

And get this, it even works in that "other" operating system
whose name I shall not mention!  (I have heard rumors
that it is slow, buggy, and expensive.)

I have some notes on how to set this up, if you need them.
CUPS does not automatically support LPR/LPD, nor does
that "other" operating system.