Re: 30 upgrade does not take

On Wed, 2019-04-10 at 12:20 -0600, Chris Murphy wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 10, 2019 at 11:09 AM Chris Murphy <
> lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I think this needs a bug report against grub2. Include the blscfg
> > debug info you provided. Also include the 'set' output, which are
> > environment variables for GRUB. And also all of:
> >
> > /etc/default/grub
> > /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
> > /boot/grub2/grubenv
> > /boot/loader/entries/*conf   ## I think one is sufficient.
> >

> Also, please include a guesstimate of the last time grub2-install was
> used? Don't actually run it. The guesstimate might give us some idea
> if the problem is related to a very old core.img or GRUB modules,
> neither of which are upgraded on systems with BIOS firmware. If you
> can't ever remember running grub2-install manually, then estimate the
> version or the original Fedora installation (i.e. when it was clean
> installed).

I'm following up with Javier on BZ.

For completeness here:

If I set boot, blscfg does work.  If I use a old grub.cfg, and manually
set boot, blscfg does populate the menus.  I'm trying to replicate the
broken condition, but I'm not sure I can anymore.

grub-install was run recently from a USB stick to make the laptop boot
again.  That may have fixed the problem.  At the same time I disabled
BLS.

The laptop was installed with (at best guess) F22, since there are a
handful of fc22 RPMs remaining.  grub-install may or may not have run
between then and the F30 upgrade.

What happened, from memory:
- have F29
- have xen installed, but not used (I sometimes run vms for dev)
- upgrade F30
- realise I only have xen kernels
- xen doesn't properly boot (it's working, but no GUI login)
- systemctl change target to text login
- remove xen
- now I have no menuentries in grub, and can't boot
- boot from USB stick
- re-install grub*.rpm
- re-run grub-install
- re-run grub-mkconfig
- see BLS, google it
- find /boot/loader/entries, so that's not the problem
- disable BLS
- remove grubby
- re-run grub-mkconfig
- reboot
- have kernels, boot to text
- systemctl change target to gui login
- everything works

Now I'm not sure I can reset grub.cfg to the broken one.  Manually
with and without bls & grubby.

Speculative problems I can think off:

1. /boot/loader/entries was empty before the grub.rpm re-install.
Possibly due to finding duplicates.

2. old grub stage 0 on the MBR didn't want to load the bls module.
Isn't this a stage 2 thing?