Re: qemu

On 4/1/19 11:07 AM, pmkellly@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
I got curious about qemu today. I read a little about it at the qemu website. Then I checked to see if their was any qemu on my fedora workstation. I found that there are many qemu items installed. From the names of the installed items and what I read at the website, I started guessing that fedora may be running on top of qemu. Is this right?

Not correct. qemu appears to have been split into many modules that provide different parts of the functionality. Unless you're running Fedora in Boxes or something similar, you're not using qemu right now. I think libvirtd is started by default in workstation though, but qemu won't be running until you create and start a VM.

One guess was that qemu might me on top of the hardware with the kernel and fedora on top of qemu.

Only if you're running Fedora on a virtual machine. And even in that case, there's still another kernel between qemu and the hardware.

I suppose that qemu might be used for a few things where integrating them into the bigger structure might not be feasible, or qemu might just be the basis for Boxes.

qemu is the basis for Boxes and by default libvirt as well. qemu is the software piece that emulates the hardware for a virtual machine. It uses kvm when possible to run faster.

Is any of this close or am I on the wrong track? Is their anything I can read that will help me understand the software hierarchy of fedora?

I'm not sure what you mean by the software hierarchy. It's the same as most other Linux distributions. The Linux kernel runs directly on the hardware and everything else runs from there. If you run Fedora in a virtual machine, then the host kernel runs on the hardware, qemu runs on that kernel, then qemu starts the virtual BIOS which runs another Linux kernel and all the other software on top of that.