Re: qemu

On Mon, 2019-04-01 at 14:07 -0400, pmkellly@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I got curious about qemu today. I read a little about it at the qemu
> website. Then I checked to see if their was any qemu on my fedora
> workstation. I found that there are many qemu items installed. From the
> names of the installed items and what I read at the website, I started
> guessing that fedora may be running on top of qemu. Is this right?
>
> One guess was that qemu might me on top of the hardware with the kernel
> and fedora on top of qemu.
>
> I suppose that qemu might be used for a few things where integrating
> them into the bigger structure might not be feasible, or qemu might just
> be the basis for Boxes.
>
> Is any of this close or am I on the wrong track? Is their anything I can
> read that will help me understand the software hierarchy of fedora?

qemu runs virtual machines. In that respect it is like VMware or
Virtualbox or Parallels. libvirt, virt-manager and Boxes are all
higher-level tools for running and managing virtual machines that, by
default, run virtual machines via qemu.

When you install Fedora to an actual hardware PC and then boot it, qemu
is not involved in any way. But if you create a virtual machine in
virt-manager or Boxes, that virtual machine is probably run by qemu.

qemu is installed by default on Workstation because Boxes is part of
Workstation and uses it.

Does that clarify things?
--
Adam Williamson