Re: podman: "error creating libpod runtime" running as non-root

On 3/22/19 12:54 PM, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Mar 2019, Daniel Walsh wrote:

>>>   nope, same error. also, there's this:
>>>
>>>   $ podman ps
>>>   ERRO[0000] No subuid ranges found for user "rpjday" in /etc/subuid
>>>   $
>>>
>>> which i see is also an issue addressed in that issues page:
>>>
>>>   https://github.com/containers/libpod/issues/2231
>>>
>>> i have no containers or images i'm interested in keeping; perhaps
>>> there is some value in completely cleansing my system of all of those
>>> and starting from scratch.
>>>
>>> rday
>>>
>>> p.s. deleting bolt_state.db and retrying put that file back where it
>>> was; can't tell if it matches the original file, i should have saved a
>>> copy to compare.
>>>
>> Well fix your subuid ranges in /etc/subuid
>>

>> Add a range of UIDs in there, this should allow you to run the containers.
>>
>> In podman 1.1.2 you have to have entries in these files, to allow this
>> to work.
>   i was just going through that, wasn't sure if podman (or anything
> else) is supposed to do that as part of an install scriptlet. also
> first had to take "sssd" out of play -- now it works. moving on ...
>

> rday

Only tool that handles that right now is shadow-utils.  When you add a
new user via useradd that file will automatically get populated.  If you
are upgrading then it is up 2 you to fix.

We have a discussion ongoing with glibc team and shadow-utils teams to
figure out how we can manage these files inside of nsswitch to allow
people to distribute the management of these files.

We have no plans on doing this via Podman for rootless containers, since
it really needs to be done by and admin.

We talk about this in on the link below:

https://github.com/containers/libpod/blob/master/troubleshooting.md#10-podman-fails-to-run-in-user-namespace-because-etcsubuid-is-not-properly-populated