Re: no network after dnf system-upgrade

On 1/5/19 11:44 PM, Felix Miata wrote:
Samuel Sieb composed on 2019-01-05 23:29 (UTC-0800):
You don't want to use NetworkManager?

There's nothing to manage. Setup fixed IP when initialized. Never has reason to be
changed. It's a test installation on a test PC.

NetworkManager handles that just fine as well. It's pretty light weight. I believe there's even a mode for one shot setup and quit.

The  initscripts package that contains the "network" initscript is gone
in F30.  I don't know if it was moved, but it's most likely just gone now.

http://mirrors.us.kernel.org/fedora/development/rawhide/Everything/x86_64/os/Packages/n/network-scripts-10.01-1.fc29.x86_64.rpm
sort of suggests not. It contains /etc/rc.d/init.d/ -rwxr-xr-x 1 8353 Aug  6 07:06 network

Not sure what you're trying to point out there. network-scripts is a subpackage of initscripts which is gone in F30. Do you see a network-scripts package for F30?

I tried to chroot from F29. I got in, but attempting to ping generates system error.

What error?  Just that there is no active network interface?

Simply system error, no details, no clues.

What is the actual text of the message?

Any suggestions what might generate successful upgrade or a way to repair the
latest? Is it too early to be using --releasever=30?

Use the netinst boot image and use the rescue option.  That will mount
all the necessary mount points and let you chroot.  Install NetworkManager.

Which netinst image? Does it matter which version? How is NM to be used on a
system with no X?

I don't think it matters which netinst.  I usually use the Everything one.
NetworkManager has no relation to X and doesn't need graphical tools. You can edit the ifcfg files yourself or use nmcli. It is compatible with the ifcfg files for the network initscript.