Re: repos used by anaconda during Branched

On Tue, 2018-11-27 at 10:47 +0100, Kamil Paral wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 26, 2018 at 6:20 PM Adam Williamson <adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:

> > item,
> > Mkolman
> > it

> > > It depends whether there are some use cases for performing an
> > installation
> > > with updates-testing enabled. For example testing a fixed package that
> > > previous broke installation/system boot? If we disable updates-testing
> > for
> > > installation by default, there's no *easy* way to re-enable it, outside
> > of
> > > a kickstart or spending a lot of effort by defining an additional repo in
> > > the GUI.
> >
> > My opinion here is just that "use a kickstart, inst.repo , or add a
> > repo in the GUI" are not that hard and sufficient to the purpose. I
> > wouldn't agree that it's "a lot of effort" to add the repo in the GUI,
> > tbh. Step 1) copy the URL from the /etc/yum.repos.d/ file. Step
> > 2)...there is no step 2...
> >

> As long as the clipboard integration is working, which sadly is often
> broken (at least in my experience). Then it means retyping a very long URL
> manually each time you want to perform an installation.

Eh, I mean, it's not *that* long. I type it quite a lot. I nearly have
it memorized by now. :P

> The same problem applies to inst.addrepo (you can't use inst.repo for
> additional repos, but today I learned about inst.addrepo),

yeah, that's what I think I meant...

> So I still think this is quite a lot of effort (assuming some package is
> broken for several days and you need to perform a larger number of
> installations using updates-testing). But if the clipboard integration is
> working, it's ok. I don't know how often it works and how often it doesn't,
> I tend get unlucky more often than I'd like :)

I *usually* try and get it fixed when it's not, but yeah, it does break
sometimes.

> PS: I think there are also some traps about naming your additional repos.
> If you name it "updates-testing", as many people probably might, it can
> easily get ignored, because it clashes with an already defined name in the
> system. I haven't tested it lately, but I remember there have been some
> issues like this in the past.

The basic idea is that you can actually just list a repo called
'updates-testing' and the pre-existing definition will be enabled and
used. This is supported for kickstarts; I don't know if it works or is
supported for the GUI. This is actually something we should make sure
*still* works if any changes are made in this area; i.e. we should make
sure that, whatever gets changed here, a kickstart with 'repo --
name=updates-testing' or whatever the syntax is still does what it's
intended to...

> I'm not completely married to the idea of showing an extra repo item in the
> list just in pre-release versions (more on that later), I just considered
> it low enough risk and a reasonable gain. We can definitely do without it,
> though.

Sure, I mean, it's ultimately just a simplicity vs. convenience trade-
off. In the end I guess it'd be up to anaconda team whether it's worth
the maintenance burden...

> > > Why is so important that pre-release testers are 100% aware that stable
> > > updates repo is empty? People familiar with our processes should know
> > that
> > > already, if they don't - what's the harm? The wide audience testing Beta
> > > release doesn't care either, they get the same package set regardless of
> > > the checkbox status.
> >
> > I don't think it's "so important", but I think it's worth a trivial fix
> > (adding a text label conditional on isFinal is not a difficult thing to
> > do).
> >

> Here I have a different view of the risk involved. Anything that changes a
> GUI layout (e.g. showing a message under the checkbox, or omitting the
> checkbox completely, therefore shifting all the widgets positions) make me
> very nervous, because if anything breaks, we'll only find about it with
> Final RC, and quite possibly we can miss it completely. However, that's
> just my perception, I can definitely ask the devs for their opinion.

I take the point, but I think it's not a significant risk in this case
as we'd be going from *more* text to *less* text, which is much less
likely to cause problems. In my experience, layout bugs tend to happen
when you go from *less* text to *more* text.

> If the message used an existing infrastructure of info bars sliding up from
> the bottom (so toggling the checkbox would show up a bar saying "this
> doesn't have any effect during pre-release"), I'd be less nervous, the GUI
> layout wouldn't be changed and the info bars are used in many other places.
> However, that would only inform people who clicked the checkbox (not those
> who read it and kept it in its current state), and I still consider this
> whole problem really trivial - it's not important if the checkbox has any
> effect or not, as long as people end up with the right set of packages,
> which they will.
>
> So, what's the conclusion? Should I:
> 1. Ask devs to disable updates-testing completely, at all times?
> 2. Ask devs whether including updates-testing repo item during pre-release
> is safe and a good idea?
> 3. Ask devs whether clarifying that updates checkbox is a no-op during
> pre-release is safe and a good idea?

I think at least having it never enabled by default seems to be pretty
clearly agreed-upon. Beyond that, maybe we can lay out the UI questions
and ask for their opinions?
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey