Re: repos used by anaconda during Branched

On Mon, 2018-11-26 at 15:41 +0100, Kamil Paral wrote:

> > > * Into Additional Repositories section, add updates-testing repo item,
> > > disabled by default, and only visible in pre-release composes. Mkolman
> > from
> > > anaconda said they definitely don't want to offer updates-testing in
> > public
> > > releases, because some people then use it without understanding what it
> > is,
> > > and they get all the bug reports then. And I can understand that. But
> > > perhaps they could be convinced to show it up just for us, during
> > > pre-release. That would make enabling updates-testing simple, and it
> > would
> > > also make the checkbox behavior clear (that it's related to stable
> > updates
> > > only).
> >
> > I'm not really a huge fan of this one, it seems like it'd be a moderate
> > amount of implementation work for a fairly small gain.
> >

> It depends whether there are some use cases for performing an installation
> with updates-testing enabled. For example testing a fixed package that
> previous broke installation/system boot? If we disable updates-testing for
> installation by default, there's no *easy* way to re-enable it, outside of
> a kickstart or spending a lot of effort by defining an additional repo in
> the GUI.

My opinion here is just that "use a kickstart, inst.repo , or add a
repo in the GUI" are not that hard and sufficient to the purpose. I
wouldn't agree that it's "a lot of effort" to add the repo in the GUI,
tbh. Step 1) copy the URL from the /etc/yum.repos.d/ file. Step
2)...there is no step 2...

> > > Can you imagine anything else, or would modify some of that above?
> >
> > An option that's easy but I also don't really like a lot would be to
> > just hide the checkbox for pre-releases (assuming we went with b)),
> > i.e. don't display it if isFinal is false.
> >
> > I guess another fairly easy option is just to display some additional
> > explanatory text when isFinal is false: a note explaining that the box
> > only enables the stable updates repos, which will probably not make any
> > difference, and that if the tester wants to enable updates-testing they
> > should do it using the additional repos box or whatever.
> >

> Why is so important that pre-release testers are 100% aware that stable
> updates repo is empty? People familiar with our processes should know that
> already, if they don't - what's the harm? The wide audience testing Beta
> release doesn't care either, they get the same package set regardless of
> the checkbox status.

I don't think it's "so important", but I think it's worth a trivial fix
(adding a text label conditional on isFinal is not a difficult thing to
do).
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey