Re: proposal: drop optical media from release criteria

On 9/21/18 3:35 PM, Samuel Sieb wrote:
On 9/21/18 11:56 AM, pmkellly@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
BTW does doing network install mean I have to have a server setup to serve the installs? I only ask because right now my knowledge of servers (now to set them up and maintain them) is zero and there doesn't seem to be any automatic tools to help. I got a copy of Fedora 28 server. I tried to set it up to serve some data files and failed. After a couple tries I just implemented file sharing and kept the commonly used stuff in one of the PCs Public directory.

Yes, it requires a dhcp server, tftp server, and web server.  If you eventually get around to trying to set it up, I would be happy to help.

There's also https://boot.fedoraproject.org/ but I can't get it to work.

You mean remote access to the repos won't work as it does for the production netinstall?

Not that I have too much of a problem rsyncing the updates, but I have always done my netinstalls from the mirrors.

Just to be clear, I was referring to setting up a PXE boot network install, not a standard boot off a DVD or USB drive. The web server is needed to load the installer image, although possibly that could be loaded over tftp as well. Also the kickstart file would be on the web server if you use one.