Re: system-config-date?

On 08/24/2018 10:16 AM, Ed Greshko wrote:
On 08/24/18 21:44, Gerald Henriksen wrote:
On Thu, 23 Aug 2018 22:40:13 +0800, you wrote:

Anyway, were I to land in Helsinki today I would google "helsinki timezone" learn it
is currently "summer time" there and it is GMT+3.  So, I would do "timedatectl
set-timezone Etc/GMT-3".  I could not find a way to do that in the KDE GUI.  Yet it
does show up in the GUI after I set it in that manner.
Easiest way is right-click on the time in the task bar, Ajust Date and
Time, Time zones, and type in Helsinki.  Benefit of this method is
essentaily the same process works on Windows or macOS so it is a
consistent method instead of hunting through system settings.
That is one way.  But it seemed to me that the OP was also concerned about landing in
a city that didn't exist in the list and not knowing what city in the
list was close to where he happens to be.

My comment was to highlight that there seems to be no way in the KDE GUI to specify a
GMT offset.

Anyway, as the old saying goes, there is more ways than one to skin a
cat...especially in linux.  Considering my background and length of service I gravitate
towards command lines than GUI if at all possible.

And I earlier posted the tzupdate process that uses geolocation from your IP address to set your timezone:

pip install -U tzupdate

But often this does not work with the IETF network as every meeting we have the same address block in a different country, and someone is not making the geoloc update.  The NOC tries to get this done during setup, but they don't always get the cooperation from the host provider that they need.  Thus we were in Singapore with the geoloc at first saying we were still in Prague.  It was fixed by Tuesday of the meeting (or there abouts).

I wonder how this would work with the airlines gogo wifi?  :)