Re: Broken dnf from 06-30-2018

On Thu, 2018-07-05 at 10:38 +0100, Russel Winder wrote:
> On Tue, 2018-07-03 at 20:14 -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > On Sun, 2018-07-01 at 09:19 +0100, Russel Winder wrote:
> > > I wonder if this
> > > episode indicates that there should be work done to make sure that a
> > > broken
> > > dnf can never be installed?
> >
> > How do you propose we do that?
>
> Using a two stage system: 1. take a one step back version of Fedora Rawhide
> and add the new dnf; then run a few tests such as "dnf check-update --refresh"
> and "dnf upgrade". 2. take a current version of Fedora Rawhide and add the new
> dnf; then run the same set of tests. This should ensure dnf dependencies are
> correct and that "dnf upgrade" never causes a seg fault.
>
> I would have thought the dnf people would have been doing this sort of system
> testing given just how important dnf is to Fedora Rawhide. To have people
> (it's not just me) in a situation of not being able to amend their system with
> dnf should I feel cause deep embarrassment to the dnf people despite the
> caveat emptor nature of Fedora Rawhide.

But the new dnf doesn't break everywhere; I updated to it and didn't
hit any of the reported issues. I'm sure the DNF developers *do* test
it on their local machines, but this is not some sort of cast-iron
guarantee that it will never fail anywhere else.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey