Re: Broken dnf from 06-30-2018

> On Sun, 2018-07-01 at 09:19 +0100, Russel Winder wrote:
> > I wonder if this
> > episode indicates that there should be work done to make sure that a
> > broken
> > dnf can never be installed?
>
> How do you propose we do that?

Using a two stage system: 1. take a one step back version of Fedora Rawhide
and add the new dnf; then run a few tests such as "dnf check-update --refresh"
and "dnf upgrade". 2. take a current version of Fedora Rawhide and add the new
dnf; then run the same set of tests. This should ensure dnf dependencies are
correct and that "dnf upgrade" never causes a seg fault.

I would have thought the dnf people would have been doing this sort of system
testing given just how important dnf is to Fedora Rawhide. To have people
(it's not just me) in a situation of not being able to amend their system with
dnf should I feel cause deep embarrassment to the dnf people despite the
caveat emptor nature of Fedora Rawhide.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200