Re: dnf system upgrade, grub2

On Sat, Nov 11, 2017 at 2:08 PM, Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Chris Murphy composed on 2017-11-11 13:39 (UTC-0700):
>
>> Felix Miata wrote:
>
>>> Must be more than one problem with grub dependencies. Every one of my
>>> (BIOS/MBR-only) F26 to F27 upgrades added grub packages, without any complaints,
>>> even though no F26 grub* rpms were installed, needed or wanted. :-(
>
>> That is expected because grub2 is one of the packages found in the
>> Fedora Workstation group, and a system upgrade is does distrosync by
>> default. One of the upgrade requirements for the various "products" in
>> Fedora is that the upgraded system is the same as an installation of
>> Fedora Workstation.
>
> Sounds even more broken, as all I did in both is:
>
>         dnf upgrade --releasever=27

I do not grok that command, for upgrades (F26 -> F27) you use
something like this:

$ sudo dnf system-upgrade download --refresh --releasever 27

And by default this includes --distro-sync option per documentation:
https://github.com/rpm-software-management/dnf-plugins-extras/blob/master/doc/system-upgrade.rst

> That was after attempted versionlocking, but apparently there's no way to lock
> out unwanted packages with dnf anything like there is in Debian or Mageia
> (unintuitive, manually edited configfile) and openSUSE (simple: zypper al
> <packagename>).

I think what you want is to switch repos and then just distrosync to
change (upgrade) the versions of packages that you have, rather than
switching to a new version of the *product*. If you want Fedora
Workstation upgraded via system-upgrade or Software Update, I'm pretty
sure the design is you get everything you would have gotten had you
clean installed that version *plus* any extras you've previously
installed yourself.

--
Chris Murphy