Re: question to file copy to external media

On 07/26/2017 01:35 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
On Wed, 2017-07-26 at 11:50 -0700, Samuel Sieb wrote:
This is standard behaviour on all current operating systems.  That is
why they all have the "eject" button for unmounting external media.  The
reason is that the operating system buffers the data in memory and then
writes it to the device as fast as the device can accept it.  This lets
whatever process is doing the writing to get on with other things
instead of having to wait for slow media.  The unmount command waits for
all the cached data to be written to the device before unmounting.  Then
you get a notification saying that you can remove it.

I don't think it's "standard behaviour", no. I think quite a lot of
file managers only copy synchronously, to avoid exactly this confusion.
It would help if Joerg specified which desktop / file manager he's
using?

Ok, then it used to be standard behaviour and I haven't paid attention to it since then. :-) I will have to try it out, but I thought I saw this with nautilus recently.