Re: Strange situation with Wine on Fedora 27

On Wed, 2017-07-12 at 08:22 -0500, Michael Cronenworth wrote:
> On 07/12/2017 05:12 AM, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> > The x86_64 and i686 build of a package are published at the same time.
> > If you get a conflict like this, where the version of the two packages
> > is not the same, you need to examine your installation and the repository
> > contents to figure out why you don't get the very latest version for both
> > the x86_64 and i686 packages. It could be due to broken dependencies
> > somewhere or due to duplicate installed packages.
>
> IMO, we need to stop allowing arch to be specified in dnf by default. Users think
> they need to add them and get into constant trouble by it. I've closed a handful of
> bugs against Wine for this reason. A command argument could be added to dnf to allow
> an arch to be specified.
>
> dnf --enablearchtagbecauseiknowwhatimdoing foo.i686
>
> Yes, I'm being extreme, but it is a pain point for users and to put it bluntly their
> ignorance gets them into trouble.

You don't need to explicitly specify an arch for this kind of problem
to occur. I've seen it more than once just on a system with mixed arch
packages installed, which is perfectly common simply to use Flash or
whatever.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey