Re: New Blocker Criterion Proposal: Same default packages for all arches

On 05/11/2017 01:33 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Thu, 2017-05-11 at 17:33 +0100, Peter Robinson wrote:
>>> For this particular Firefox example, what is the core problem that you're
>>> trying to fix here? Is it the fact that Firefox excluded many arches from
>>> builds? From my QA POV, since it excluded arm, it's a blocker, since arm is
>> Well it causes most of the world to fail to compose on numerous
>> architectures. EG Workstation on both ARMv7 and aarch64 is very usable
>> and accelerated on a number of devices but now completely fails to
>> compose, Firefox is the default browser there.
> The point is that as the criteria stand, we could fix that without
> fixing Firefox, by simply changing the default browser on the image. We
> don't *technically* have to make Firefox build again in order to
> resolve the blocker issue.
>
> Some people have an instinctive feeling that this is 'bad' and the
> criteria must somehow require that we fix Firefox. Stephen is proposing
> something less than that; that at least we should never vary the
> 'default browser' (and other 'applications') between arches.
Well, I was specifically trying to avoid making a rule that applied to
Firefox specifically (because as I mentioned, there's nothing stopping
us from deciding that Chromium or Epiphany or even elinks should be the
default on all systems). My reasoning was that this would be sort of a
back-door to forcing this to be fixed, since the SIGs would apply
pressure not to be forced to switch their other arches to move away from
a package just because it doesn't build (currently) on one of them.

I'm open to a better approach here, but I want to try to encode into the
criteria somewhere that the same deliverable should have the same
default behaviors on all arches for which it is built.