Re: New Blocker Criterion Proposal: Same default packages for all arches

On Wed, May 10, 2017 at 4:15 PM, Richard Ryniker <ryniker@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I agree with you that Firefox is an important resource that Fedora should
> deliver, but think a criterion that failure to supply the same default
> package set for all (blocking) architectures will do more harm than good.
>
> Release criteria should focus on the quality of what is delivered in a
> release.  They should not be a specification for its content, or a
> mechanism to allocate developer resources.
>
> The "critical path" concept already defines a set of resources considered
> essential to a usable Fedora release.  A Web browser (in workstation
> builds) is an essential resource - Fedora could specify Firefox for this
> role, or accept any usable browser to meet this need, even different
> browsers on different architectures.
>
> The major problem with a heavy-handed "same default package set"

We've aimed for a consistent experience across Fedora for numerous
things whether it be spins (everything has to have SELinux for
example) and I don't see why it should be any different for say an
expected package set on an architecture for a particular Spin/Edition
of Fedora and hence I don't see it as heavy handed.

> criterion is the delay that might cause - especially if upstream
> resources are required.  While Fedora waits for the last "default set"
> package to be fixed for some architecture, everything else in the frozen
> release ages.  Sure, more recent package builds can accumulate in updates
> repositories, but then, when the release actually happens, users perform
> their first upgrade and wind up with a system too much different from
> what was actually tested for that release.
>
> In an extreme situation, a release could be nearly impossible due to
> dependency cycles.

You'd need to provide specific examples for "extreme" as this has not
happened in recent Fedora history (at least back to F-21)