Re: New Blocker Criterion Proposal: Same default packages for all arches

On 05/09/2017 08:17 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Tue, 2017-05-09 at 19:39 -0400, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
>> However, it seems that our
>> blocker criteria do not describe one institutional guideline that we've
>> been trying to follow: that alternative architectures should be
>> delivering the same content as the "primary" architectures.
> Nitpick: ARM *is* a primary architecture. x86_64 and armhfp are the
> current Fedora primary architectures. All others are 'alternat(iv)e
> architectures' (the words 'alternate' and 'alternative' seem to be used
> as if they were interchangeable, in the various pages discussing this).
>
> Ref: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures

Apologies, that was a misstatement.

>> What I would like to propose (wordsmithing welcome) is an addendum to
>> the Beta criteria under the Installer->Default Package Set requirements:
>>
>> "The default package set installed from blocking media must be the same
>> on all architectures for that Edition, Spin or netinstall except for
>> packages whose sole purpose is hardware enablement for one or more
>> architectures."
>>
>> Breaking it down, I think we should have an explicit criterion that
>> installing the default package set for e.g. XFCE spin on armv7 must be
>> the same set of packages you would get in a default install of e.g. XFCE
>> spin on x86_64.
> Well, we weren't talking about only changing the default on ARM, in the
> meeting. The implication was that we'd change the default for x86_64 as
> well. Since about three weeks ago we don't technically *have* to, I
> think, because we tweaked comps to allow specifying packages by arch,
> but we've not actually used this at all yet.
>
> The wrinkle in this situation is that Xfce is *only* a release-blocking
> environment *for ARM*. It is not a release blocking environment for
> x86_64. So I don't think the proposed criterion would actually *mean*
> much in this case. If someone actually decided to push for changing the
> Xfce default browser as a resolution to the bug (rather than fixing
> Firefox), telling them they have to change it for x86_64 as well as ARM
> probably wouldn't dissuade them. They'd just say "Fine, we'll do that."

Sure, but that puts pressure on the maintainers of that spin to make a
decision. If they *really* want to keep Firefox on their x86_64
platform, they'll push to get it fixed. On the other hand, if they don't
actually care, then at minimum we will maintain a consistent experience
across architectures. I think it's valuable to have that encoded as a
blocking requirement.