Re: Progress bar

On Sun, Apr 23, 2017 at 10:53 AM, Alessio Ciregia <alciregi@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Apr 23, 2017 17:42, "Chris Murphy" <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> The progress bar is almost useless. A bunch of research has been done
> on progress estimation, and it's actually a hard problem.
>

> That's ok. Generally speaking, progress bar is only a visual effect and it
> can report wrong informations. A famous progress bar was the one visible
> during the Mac os X boot process, that was based on the last boot time and
> not on any estimation.
> What I mean is that, while percentagegoes on, progress bar is full from
> start to finish, there are no progresses from 0 to 100%
> And I haven't spotted such issue on previous versions of Fedora. If I'm not
> wrong.

Ahh yeah, the disconnect between progress bar and percentage is a new
bug. The progress bar is always "done" even while the percentage is at
e.g. 5%. And also I'm seeing a change in the behavior I previously
described, the percentage progression to 100% does a pretty decent job
of ending up at 100% when it's really done.

--
Chris Murphy