Re: Progress bar

On Fri, Apr 21, 2017 at 1:20 PM, Alessio Ciregia <alciregi@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> During installation, the progress bar is "full", all blue I mean, during the
> installing software process. Even if the percentage of the installation is
> not 100%
>
> I'm using Fedora-Workstation-Live-x86_64-26-20170420.n.0.iso
>
> Is this expected?

The progress bar is almost useless. A bunch of research has been done
on progress estimation, and it's actually a hard problem. But a way to
make it more reliable would be having installation milestones, e.g.
maybe 10% is always the completion of partitioning, fsck, and mkfs;
and 90% is always the making of the initramfs. We have a textual
description of what's going on with the installation, and tying those
things to some percentage sounds more reliable and consistent.

If I do a default installation (ext4 on LVM on a HDD using CFQ
scheduler) the progress is fairly sane up until initramfs generation
where it hangs at 100% for a while. If I do a Btrfs installation on
SSD using noop scheduler, it goes pretty much from 0% done to 100%
done right after mkfs, and just stays there through rsync copy, and
initramfs creation, and bootloader config.

Anyway, maybe the problem is the progress bar is trying to do too much
intelligent estimation but ends up making assumptions that can be
wrong. So instead maybe make it less smart, less dynamic.

--
Chris Murphy