Re: USB writing changes: wiki instructions, tests

On Tue, 2016-10-04 at 10:30 -0400, Kamil Paral wrote:
> > I don't quite see why you claim that Workstation live is the only case
> > where we should test optical media any more. Why is Workstation live
> > special? Why not the KDE live? Why not the Server DVD? I just don't get
> > the grounds for the distinction.
>

> I was thinking about real world scenarios, and Workstation Live is
> the only one that is probably going to be given away on optical discs
> (at conferences, university events, etc). KDE Live would probably
> also fit in this. I don't think we're ever giving out Server discs,
> or Cloud (ha ha).

Well, no, but I don't think we've given up supporting people actually
writing ISO images to optical discs yet. Though it might be good to run
some kind of survey to find out just how many people actually do still
do this rather than use USB.

> Ideally we should of course test all combinations. But that's not
> practical. So this was all about covering the most commonly used
> methods.

See, I'm not totally sure I agree...

> > It sucks, but I'd say in an ideal world we would actually be testing
> > all supported boot methods - VM 'optical disc', real optical disc, each
> > supported USB write method - for each image, for both x86_64 and UEFI.
> > Given that we have six release-blocking ISO images, if we only tested
> > one USB write method, that'd be 36 tests. Fun for all the family! Add
> > another 12 for each support USB write method we decide to test
> > independently...
>
> Right. We clearly need to pick a "reasonable subset".

I actually didn't mean that. In this case I was being sincere: I
actually think we *should* test every single combination. At *least*
for Final. When all's said and done, Fedora is in the business of
releasing operating systems, and we're the Fedora QA team. It might be
tedious, but we absolutely *should* check that every single release-
blocking image we ship actually boots when written in every one of our
officially-supported ways. It's not as if we haven't had weird bugs in
this before. We've had images that booted fine in VMs but not when
written to actual optical media. We've had cases where just one image
didn't get isohybrid written on it for some reason and so wouldn't work
with dd (or FMW, now).

I'm OK with fudging this a bit for Alpha and Beta, but I do actually
think that we should do all those 36 tests for Final at least.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey