Re: USB writing changes: wiki instructions, tests

On Tue, 2016-10-04 at 04:30 -0400, Kamil Paral wrote:

> Alternatively, we could somehow connect this to the "Default boot and
> install" section, which is very much related, and we'll need to
> rethink it anyway (because currently it says "bare metal required"
> and we fill it with openqa...). Maybe we could have "Workstation live
> optical" (which is probably the only case where it still makes sense
> to test optical media) and the rest would be considered either USB or
> VM. Also, Live and DVD USB would be already present in
> QA:Testcase_USB_dd-like_install row.

This is basically the alley I was chasing down this morning in the
shower, but more important stuff took over.

I don't quite see why you claim that Workstation live is the only case
where we should test optical media any more. Why is Workstation live
special? Why not the KDE live? Why not the Server DVD? I just don't get
the grounds for the distinction.

It sucks, but I'd say in an ideal world we would actually be testing
all supported boot methods - VM 'optical disc', real optical disc, each
supported USB write method - for each image, for both x86_64 and UEFI.
Given that we have six release-blocking ISO images, if we only tested
one USB write method, that'd be 36 tests. Fun for all the family! Add
another 12 for each support USB write method we decide to test
independently...

We could do this either as three tables, or as one table with six
result columns. Not really sure which is best.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey