Re: PSA: Do not run 'dnf update' inside GNOME, KDE or any other graphical desktop on Fedora 24

On Tue, Oct 4, 2016 at 9:56 AM, Patrick O'Callaghan
<pocallaghan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 4 October 2016 at 16:51, Adam Williamson <adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>>
>> Running the update process inside a desktop just gives it all the more
>> opportunity to crash somehow. If the terminal app crashes, the update
>> crashes. If the desktop crashes, the update crashes.
>>
>> I don't want to get in the KDE folks' bad graces, but this likely could
>> also affect KDE's graphical update system, so I'd advise against using
>> that for the present too.
>

> Maybe I've just been lucky but I run dnf on a daily basis in a Konsole
> terminal window (under KDE) and have never seen this kind of problem. I
> don't use the graphical updater(s).

I do it also but I also take a snapshot of root first, and then I
expect without warning that the GUI could just vanish and munge a
bunch of things. It's a use case I expect to not work, even though it
Works For Me™.

--
Chris Murphy