Re: 'dnf system-upgrade reboot' doesn't do anything

On Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 4:08 PM, Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Chris Murphy composed on 2016-08-30 15:31 (UTC-0600):
>
>> Felix Miata wrote:
>

>>> What I was looking for is the process that triggers "offline updates
>>> mode".
>>> If it involves the bootloader, I know whatever it may be simply doesn't
>>> exist. This is a multiboot installation, so no Fedora bootloader is
>>> involved
>>> in its boot process. If not bootloader related, I'll go ahead and file a
>>> bug,
>>> or even if it is, but you indicate you want one anyway.
>

>> https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd.offline-updates.html
>

>> What triggers it is the creation of /system-update symlink and a
>> reboot. Then systemd picks that up and for that boot considers
>> system-update.target the default target.
>

> So apparently the kernel cmdline can be involved, and the only bug appears
> to be that the wiki page has no boot stanza admonition that the cmdline must
> not include anything to avoid booting to the temporary default target (in
> this case "3", which is a parameter I include on most of my kernel
> cmdlines).

Anything that overrides default.target is supposed to be temporary. To
make it the default, and therefore maintain compatibility with system
upgrades:

systemctl set-default multi-user.target

In effect the upgrade fails because there are two conflicting
temporary default overrides: /system-updates and the 3.

--
Chris Murphy