Re: QA group joining process: new members cannot subscribe to list until approved

On Fri, 05 Aug 2016 12:48:39 -0700
Adam Williamson <adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi folks! In an IRC discussion with a new member this morning, we
> became aware of an issue (possibly some folks knew about this already,
> but I didn't!) in the joining process. This is mostly of interest to
> qa group moderators/sponsors, but I figured it can't hurt to make
> everyone aware.
>
> Recently, the Powers That Be have made it so you can't subscribe to
> Fedora mailing lists until you're a member of the FAS 'cla' group
> (which you become a member of by signing the contributor agreement)
> *and* one other group. This requirement is intended to combat spam
> coming from bots which just create new accounts, sign the CA, then
> start subscribing to lists and sending out spam - that whole process
> can be fully automated, and has apparently been a real problem. So the
> intent is to make sure only people who've been made a member of a
> 'real' FAS group by some kind of human, non-automatable process can
> join the lists.

This is not correct. You absolutely do not need cla+1 to join a mailing
list. How could that even be enforced? You can sign into mailman with
yahoo or persona (which have no ideas about groups).

Fas does, but you can add arbitrary email addresses to your account.

In short, this is not the case that I know of, so no adjustment should
need to be made.

kevin