Re: dnf system-upgrade reboot: then what?

On Sun, Jul 31, 2016 at 3:11 AM, Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DNF_system_upgrade
> quote:
> "This will reboot your machine immediately. The system should boot again
> into Fedora using the same kernel, but this time, the upgrade process
> appears on the boot screen. "
>
> NAICT, that last part did not take place, but the term "the boot screen" is
> ambiguous. No bootloader is installed on the subject/target installation,
> one of many on a multiboot machine on which everything boots from a master
> bootloader under exclusive control of myself.

dnf system-upgrade leverages systemd offline update mechanism. There's
no bootloader changes. What should be try is 'dnf system-upgrade
reboot' sets a symlink /system-update and as long as that exists,
systemd picks it up and starts the offline update target.

https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd.offline-updates.html

> Tail of .bash_history on freshly updated F24 installation cloned to a new
> partition with boot stanza and fstab appropriately adjusted:
> dnf remove kernel-PAE-core-4.1.0 kernel-PAE-core-4.2.0 kernel-PAE-core-4.3.0
> df /
> dnf repolist all
> dnf install dnf-plugin-system-upgrade
> df /
> dnf system-upgrade download --refresh --releasever=25
> dnf config-manager --set-disabled updates
> dnf system-upgrade download --refresh --releasever=25
> dnf system-upgrade download --refresh --releasever=25 --allowerasing
> dnf system-upgrade reboot

> I had tried several times just to use DNF to upgrade, but always got error
> messages about updates not refreshing, which is why I tried the officially
> recommended upgrade route, and why in history you can see I disabled
> updates. The system-upgrade reported 700+ packages successfully downloaded.
> I saw nothing that looked like any error message.
>
> All I saw after booting was a normal login screen on vtty1. On login, I
> don't see anything happening in ps -A that looks like any kind of updating,
> nor do I hear any HD activity. dnf repolist all shows only Fedora 24 is
> enabled. What now?

You'll need to figure out wher dnf system-upgrade download put all of
the packages it downloaded. Make sure the /system-update symlink
points to that location - since I think that gets set with the 'dnf
system-upgrade reboot' command and then immediately reboots, you'd
have to figure out a way to intercept the update process - e.g. boot
another OS, mount the Fedora 24 root, and see if the symlink is there
and points to the correct location. If it's not there or points to the
wrong location, it's a bug. If it's there and points to the correct
location, reboot and edit the Fedora 24 boot entry and remove 'rhgb
quiet' so you can see the boot process. It's really obvious either way
when offline updates are happening. With graphical boot, there's a
status in percentage on the upper left of the display, and with text
boot you'll see the systemd-offline-updates process installing
packages, listing each package, along with a percent complete. It's
not possible to miss it.

So if that's not happen, check again if the symlink is still there and
pointed to the right location. Either way, you've got a bug it's just
a matter of how it gets written up, but you'll probably need more
verbose systemd logging to attach to the bug. So redo 'dnf
system-upgrade reboot' and edit the Fedora 24 boot entry to add
systemd.log_level=debug, boot that modified entry, and once you're in
Fedora 24 do something like 'journalctl -b -o short-monotonic >
journal_dnfupgradesystemdebug.log' and attach that log to the bug
report. Hopefully it contains a hint. I'm pretty sure this is all done
with just systemd, and doesn't involve any dracut stuff so you
probably don't need to to also do rd.debug.

--
Chris Murphy