dnf system-upgrade reboot: then what?

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DNF_system_upgrade
quote:
"This will reboot your machine immediately. The system should boot again into Fedora using the same kernel, but this time, the upgrade process appears on the boot screen. "

NAICT, that last part did not take place, but the term "the boot screen" is ambiguous. No bootloader is installed on the subject/target installation, one of many on a multiboot machine on which everything boots from a master bootloader under exclusive control of myself.

Tail of .bash_history on freshly updated F24 installation cloned to a new partition with boot stanza and fstab appropriately adjusted:
dnf remove kernel-PAE-core-4.1.0 kernel-PAE-core-4.2.0 kernel-PAE-core-4.3.0
df /
dnf repolist all
dnf install dnf-plugin-system-upgrade
df /
dnf system-upgrade download --refresh --releasever=25
dnf config-manager --set-disabled updates
dnf system-upgrade download --refresh --releasever=25
dnf system-upgrade download --refresh --releasever=25 --allowerasing
dnf system-upgrade reboot

I had tried several times just to use DNF to upgrade, but always got error messages about updates not refreshing, which is why I tried the officially recommended upgrade route, and why in history you can see I disabled updates. The system-upgrade reported 700+ packages successfully downloaded. I saw nothing that looked like any error message.

All I saw after booting was a normal login screen on vtty1. On login, I don't see anything happening in ps -A that looks like any kind of updating, nor do I hear any HD activity. dnf repolist all shows only Fedora 24 is enabled. What now?

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/