Re: [Test-Announce] Fedora 24 Candidate RC-1.1 Available Now!

On Sun, 2016-06-12 at 23:03 -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Sat, 2016-06-11 at 20:14 +0100, Peter Robinson wrote:
> > >
> > > Aren't they named incorrectly? Looking at spins [1] and isos [2]
> > > they're using the nightly naming scheme (24-20160611.n.0) rather than
> > > 24-1.1 like I'd expect.
> >
> > Ignore me, I'm clearly not thinking and looking in the wrong location!
>
> It's slightly subtle. 'Production' (candidate) composes have both a
> 'compose ID' and a 'label'. Nightlies have only a compose ID. Compose
> IDs for nightlies and production composes look very similar, but are
> slightly different.
>
> Nightly:    Fedora-24-20160611.n.1
> Production: Fedora-24-20160611.1
>
> i.e. nightlies have a 'n' identifier, productions have no letter
> identifier. (The 0 is the 'respin' number and gets bumped each time we
> do another build on the same day). There is a third type of compose -
> 'test' - which would be Fedora-24-20160611.t.0 , but we've never used
> that for Fedora yet.
>
> 'RC-1.1' is the 'label', which only production composes have. Nightlies
> and tests have no label.

Just one thought on this I missed - possibly unfortunately, you will
find production composes referred to by both their labels and compose
IDs. Even just different things I'm responsible for do this...sorry. It
kinda makes sense in my head but maybe is confusing for others if you
don't know about it.

For instance, these announcement emails use the label identifier for
production composes (hence the topic of this mail says 'Fedora 24
Candidate RC-1.1' not 'Fedora-24-20160611.1'). But openQA identifies
all composes by their compose ID (so you'll find the openQA tests for
this compose under 'Fedora-24-20160611.1' not '24_RC-1.1').

This is basically because I kinda figured it makes sense for it to
always be consistent in openQA (so you don't have to think about when
to look for a compose by ID and when to look for it by label), but for
email announcements intended to be read by humans, I figured '24 RC-
1.1' better identifies what the compose actually *is* than 'Fedora-24-
20160611.1'. But I appreciate the inconsistency is annoying :/
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey