Re: [Test-Announce] Fedora 24 Candidate RC-1.1 Available Now!

On Sat, 2016-06-11 at 20:14 +0100, Peter Robinson wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 11, 2016 at 5:42 PM, Peter Robinson <pbrobinson@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Sat, Jun 11, 2016 at 4:59 PM,  <rawhide@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > According to the schedule [1], Fedora 24 Candidate RC-1.1 is now
> > > available for testing. Please help us complete all the validation
> > > testing! For more information on release validation testing, see:
> > > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Release_validation_test_plan
> >
> > Aren't they named incorrectly? Looking at spins [1] and isos [2]
> > they're using the nightly naming scheme (24-20160611.n.0) rather than
> > 24-1.1 like I'd expect.
>
> Ignore me, I'm clearly not thinking and looking in the wrong location!

It's slightly subtle. 'Production' (candidate) composes have both a
'compose ID' and a 'label'. Nightlies have only a compose ID. Compose
IDs for nightlies and production composes look very similar, but are
slightly different.

Nightly:    Fedora-24-20160611.n.1
Production: Fedora-24-20160611.1

i.e. nightlies have a 'n' identifier, productions have no letter
identifier. (The 0 is the 'respin' number and gets bumped each time we
do another build on the same day). There is a third type of compose -
'test' - which would be Fedora-24-20160611.t.0 , but we've never used
that for Fedora yet.

'RC-1.1' is the 'label', which only production composes have. Nightlies
and tests have no label.

All Fedora composes initially land somewhere under
https://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org/compose/ ;, in a directory named for
their *compose ID* - nightlies go to branched/(compose_id) or
rawhide/(compose_id) , productions go to the directory named for their
release number (so 24/(compose_id) at present). Production composes
(only) then get synced to stage, in a directory named for their
*label*. So this compose can be found both here:

https://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org/compose/24/Fedora-24-20160611.1/

and here:

https://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/stage/24-1.1/

(though I'd actually expect that second location to be called 24_RC-
1.1...ah, well. I think Dennis is creating the stage/ directories
manually, so he gets to do whatever he likes. I guess I get to teach
fedfind about this now.) It is the same compose in both places.

The ISOs for 'production' composes will usually contain the label in
the file names and volume IDs, the ISOs for nightly composes usually
contain the compose ID. Though I've just noticed there are some
inconsistencies here - e.g.:

https://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/stage/24-1.1/Workstation/x86_64/iso/

the netinst has the full label ('RC-1.1'), the live has only
'1.1'...guess who gets to file some bug reports in the morning?

The metadata for all composes of course includes all the identifiers
that exist, so e.g.
https://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/stage/24-1.1/metadata/composeinfo.json
gives both the compose ID and the label.

fedfind copes with this by handling both locations as separate Release
subclasses, the 'Production' class covers the composes as they exist on
kokipkgs, the 'Compose' class covers them as they exist on stage (I've
no idea why I chose the name 'Compose' any more, that's an awful name).
I cope with it by drinking heavily.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey