Fedora 24 kernel or kernel-pae?

On my laptop, I notice that the kernel that got
installed from the Workstation live disc is kernel. I
did an update and now I see that the very same
numbered kernel, but the pae version, has now been
installed.

I just checked and, unlike previous releases, F24 ha
no /etc/sysconfig/kernel file. This is where it used
to be possible to set the required kernel type. Nicer,
of course, is that the system figures it out
automatically, but the file is fine, but, as I
indicated, it is not present.

Now, a while back I read that pae kernels are only
used with i686 machines that have at least 4G or more
of memory. My computer has only 1G of memory, so the
pae is the wrong one. So, why did dnf update give me
the wrong kernel? How do I get rid of it? And, how do
I make sure that I don't get another pae in the
future?