Re: Criteria proposal: applying 'post-install' criteria to live and appliance images

On Fri, 2016-01-29 at 08:46 -0500, Kamil Paral wrote:
> > Since people seemed to be on board with this approach, I've done the
> > drafts. Here they are:
> >
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Adamwill/Draft_Alpha_Criteria_Postinstall
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Adamwill/Draft_Beta_Criteria_Postinstall
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Adamwill/Draft_Final_Criteria_Postinstall
> >
> > You can see the diff to the current criteria in the page history (I
> > first saved an exact copy of the current criteria, then made the
> > changes). Any thoughts on the specific changes are welcome! Thanks.
>
> Thanks for the drafts.
>
> I hesitate whether we should mandate working updates in live environment:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Adamwill/Draft_Alpha_Criteria_Postinstall#Updates

Er, we wouldn't? That criterion still explicitly states "The installed
system". When a criterion had text like that I didn't think it
necessary to *also* add some text saying "doesn't apply to live
environments", since that's just two ways of saying the same thing.

> Installing anything else than just a few small packages usually
> doesn't work at all, because you run out of allocated disk overlay
> memory (which seems to happen very soon even for systems with large
> amounts of physical RAM). The question is whether we want this to
> work "in a reasonable degree" (small updates), or whether we don't
> want to require it on Live at all.

Yes, it was entirely my intent that this one not apply to live systems.

> I'm not completely happy about the wording of:
> " This criterion does apply to live environments. However, a stricter
> standard of judgement may be applied to conditional violations in
> live environments, as clean shutdown and log out functionality is
> relatively less important on a live boot than an installed system. "
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Adamwill/Draft_Beta_Criteria_Post
> install#Shutdown.2C_reboot.2C_logout
>
> For example logout is necessary if you want to switch languages (and
> our l10n test days rely on that). Reboot and shutdown is necessary
> for automating stuff. I'd use the same measure as in post-install
> here.

Hmm, IIRC this was one case that *really happened*, and I was trying to
catch the flavor of our IRC discussion at the time - my memory is that
we were willing to accept such bugs as blockers, but we'd maybe be more
likely to waive them for only affecting a small amount of users or
being workaroundable or something like that. I can go back and check
the logs again, though. What do other folks think?

Thanks for checking the drafts!
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey