Re: criterion proposal: upgrading across 2 releases

On Wed, Dec 16, 2015 at 10:44 AM, Chris Murphy <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 16, 2015 at 10:29 AM, Adam Williamson
> <adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Mon, 2015-11-23 at 10:52 -0500, Kamil Paral wrote:
>>
>>> I feel that for something as important as system upgrade, we should
>>> provide a better level of quality and assurance for upgrading across
>>> 2 releases. Currently we have no criterion and testing it is just an
>>> afterthought, not even tracked anywhere. I'd like to amend the
>>> existing criterion to include N-2 release as well, i.e.:
>>
>> So, what's the status of this proposal? I'd say we should go ahead and
>> do it or not before the New Year, ahead of the F24 Alpha ramp-up. Does
>> anyone have further +-1s?
>
> So I can't find this thread, including this post, in the new list web
> UI doing a search for the subject. I did send a "oh by the way" email
> suggested to ping Richard Hughes since the policy likely affects
> whatever is happening with GNOME Software to eventually do the major
> version upgrades. But I can't find that email either.

Found mine, but not yours from today.
https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/test%40lists.fedoraproject.org/message/EIFYI5WQ7NTPLXISRE47CNZQJZVI734X/

Anyway, I'm a +1.

I am a bit concerned about how GRUB gets stale on BIOS computers with
upgrades rather than new installations, since grub2-install isn't
called with any of the upgrade methods we've had.

http://hmarco.org/bugs/CVE-2015-8370-Grub2-authentication-bypass.html

That is fixed today in grub2-2.02-0.25.fc23. On UEFI, grubx64.efi is
replaced so it's fixed there just by updating the package. But on BIOS
it'll require a manual grub2-install.

--
Chris Murphy