Re: Scriptlet Failure When Upgrading (F23)

On Fri, 2015-10-02 at 20:42 -0600, P.  Gueckel wrote:
> Adam Williamson wrote:
>
> > In practice, the best thing to do about scriptlet
> fails is to file a
> > bug any time you see one, and try to figure out what
> specifically the
> > scriptlet that failed *was*, and what it was meant
> to do. If it
> > actually needed to do something in your particular
> context, re-do that
> > thing manually.
>
> Thanks for the great and detailed answer :-) It's nice
> to be told what is really going on and not just be
> given a yes/no response that doesn't increase one's
> knowledge or tell much of anything at all.
>
> OK. I guess that's the least I can do, since I am a de
> facto tester of F23, having installed the ß to a spare
> partition :-)
>
> I recall which package it was, pretty much ;-) It was
> almost certainly appstream, but it could have been
> appstream-data or appstream-qt, but I don't think it
> was.

I think you should be able to retrieve the error message from dnf
history. Try 'dnf history list', identify the transaction (you should
be able to spot it from the number of packages changed, or you can just
go through the last few) and do 'dnf history info (number)'. It should
show the log and you can see the exact message again.

You can see the actual scriptlets in the package either with 'rpm -q --
scripts (packagename)' - which will show you the scriptlets as they
exist in the *current installed* version - or in package git,
http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/(packagename).git (where you can
obviously go back through earlier versions). scriptlet ordering is
documented here:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:ScriptletSnippets#Scriptlet_Ordering

Just above it, there's a table of the weird "$1 == n" conditionals you
will find yourself wondering about :) Basically the scriptlets are
passed a value indicating the nature of the transaction: whether the
package is being installed for the first time, updated, or removed. You
will often find that a scriptlet only does anything at all in one of
those cases, or does very different things in different cases.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey