Re: Rawhide plans

On Wed, 19 Aug 2015 11:52:25 -0400
Josh Boyer <jwboyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I see issues that come as a side effect of _after_ you get rawhide
> installed.  With it being a rolling release, you theoretically never
> have to do a fresh install again.  Which means that the install
> environment (both live and boot.iso) that are produced in rawhide get
> very little testing.  This in turn leads to hero testing around the
> milestones for the subsequent Branched release.

Yeah, that was actually mentioned in the workshop by someone (kalev?).

We want people to test branched so it's stable and we can release it.
If all those people are using rawhide, branched gets no testing.

> I have no solution for this at the moment.  I simply thought that it's
> worth pointing out that if we convert lots of tester type people to
> use rawhide on a daily basis, we're going to limit our tester pool
> significantly.

Right. I don't know that I have much solution either other than
automated testing for those times that there's a branched.

> This would help with the above issue I mentioned, but I'm not sure how
> well it deals with non-KS installs?

It boots the images in vms and screen scrapes I think...

> > * Hook up taskotron to run checks on packages as they are built and
> >   send at least to the maintainer about the broken deps. If the
> >   maintainer sees their build causing lots of broken deps they can
> >   untag it or get someone to rebuild all the other packages.
>
> Why not take a step further and automatically untag it if broken deps
> are found?

Yeah, That was in the 'medium term' section with gating, because we
need a way to override it.

...snip...

> If you take the above, and then extend it to "automatically rebuild
> any packages that depend on the package you just built" you are
> getting pretty close to all the things OBS already does.

Thats Open Suse Build service?

(sorry, there's a ton of similar acronyms around that. OSBS, OBS, etc).

> > * Possibly drop daily rawhide composes in favor of just rebuilding
> >   things when something in them changes. ie, new kernel build? then
> >   rebuild images/trees, new cowsay, just rebuild the repo.
>
> We build a new kernel every day with few exceptions.

True. So, perhaps we should still do daily, but wait for some specific
packages to build? Or just keep doing daily.

kevin