Re: Rawhide plans

On 20/08/15 03:52, Josh Boyer wrote:
On Wed, Aug 19, 2015 at 11:18 AM, Kevin Fenzi <kevin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[...]
I think everyone also agreed that the pain points were around getting a
rawhide install in the first place:

1. boot/netinstall iso is often broken or not produced. Live media
likewise.

2. Upgrading from a stable release is also often hard due to broken
deps, resulting in having to remove packages just to get upgraded.
[...]
I see issues that come as a side effect of _after_ you get rawhide
installed.  With it being a rolling release, you theoretically never
have to do a fresh install again.  Which means that the install
environment (both live and boot.iso) that are produced in rawhide get
very little testing.  This in turn leads to hero testing around the
milestones for the subsequent Branched release.

I have no solution for this at the moment.  I simply thought that it's
worth pointing out that if we convert lots of tester type people to
use rawhide on a daily basis, we're going to limit our tester pool
significantly.
[...]

* Matt opened a thread on the marketing list about renaming rawhide. It
   sounds like most people would prefer us to make the changes first,
   then and only then look at renaming.
This would make me very very sad.
I suggest 'rawhide' NOT be renamed.  As it improves, so will its reputation.

However: I suggest that there should be a 'tannedhide', which is simply a copy of the last rawhide that passed all the checking (or at least, had nothing that seriously broke things - so things like wrong backgrounds & spelling mistakes would be okay). So a lot of people would test tannedhide, and the seriously hardcore would test rawhide.

And possible a 'fashionhide', from time to time derived from 'tannedhide', that would be downloadable as a tentative set of images (including live media).

[...]

Cheers,
Gavin