Re: Alpha Criterion Discussion: Desktop Backgrounds

On Fri, 07 Aug 2015 08:30:44 -0400
Stephen Gallagher <sgallagh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> As promised at yesterday's Go/No-Go meeting, I'm starting a discussion
> on the Alpha criterion that states: "The default desktop background
> must be different from that of the two previous stable releases."
>
> As I understand it, the intent is essentially that no one booting a
> Fedora pre-release should infer that it is a stable release and that
> this should be obvious from the desktop background.

I don't even think the desktop background is all that visible anymore,
especially on some desktops (like workstation/gnome). People there tend
to use full screen apps and never even see the wallpaper.

That also seems like a pretty poor way to tell what release you are
running.

> I suppose this makes some sense for Live media (particularly when
> burned to a USB stick that may not have a label). That being said, I
> do not agree that this should be a *blocking* issue for release.

I agree. I think we should remove this critera from the alpha critera.

...snip...

> I'd like to propose that we remove this as a strict blocking criterion
> and instead introduce a new category of criteria for automatic freeze
> -exceptions of which this could be a part. Essentially, up to the
> moment that an RC is declared gold, any changes made to support an
> automatic freeze-exception must be pulled in.
>
> The idea would be that these auto-FEs should still be part of the
> validation runs, but not blocking for the release. Does this seem like
> a reasonable middle-ground?

I don't think we should do this, it sounds overcomplex. How about we
just let new backgrounds propose as FE's and get pulled in if we feel
they should be.

kevin