Re: High CPU on latest nightly

On Tue, 2015-03-03 at 04:59 -0500, Kamil Paral wrote:

> > > I mean while installing F22, all four CPUs on the KVM host (F21)
> > > are constantly at 100% usage.
> > >
> > > Running top in TTY2, while F22 is installing, I see:
> > >
> > > Xorg using constantly CPU 60%-70%
> > > 2 anaconda processes using constantly CPU 60%-70%
> > >
> > > I can understand anaconda, but Xorg?
> >
> > IIRC there's a spinner or something similar visible during
> > install; it could well be caused by that. I even think I caught
> > some discussion about a patch to disable it during automated test
> > runs or something in #anaconda the other day...
>
> Alexander, try running the installation with this boot option:
>
> inst.updates=https://kparal.fedorapeople.org/tmp/no-spinner.img
>
> It should disable spinner animation. Then compare the CPU usage. I
> still haven't gotten to reporting it as a bug, but it's true that
> the spinner seems to be a *gigantic* performance hog, making all our
> installations take much longer, especially in VMs.

Now I come to notice it, GTKSpinners don't seem to spin at all in TC7
and TC8. They do spin on my desktop. Not sure if there's a package
difference or it's a KVM vs. real hardware thing, but they're broken
with at least both 'vga' and 'qxl' in a KVM. Just burning a USB stick
to see if it's the same on bare metal. Probably GTK+ 3.15.9 is
involved.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey