Re: Heads up - Anaconda 22.17 will enforce 'good' passwords

On Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 3:18 PM, Adam Williamson
<adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, 2015-01-29 at 15:09 -0700, Chris Murphy wrote:
>> On Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 2:23 PM, Adam Williamson <
>> adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > Seriously. Stop this. I have already asked people to stop
>> > assigning negative motivations to others without due cause. This
>> > is not being excellent to each other.
>>
>> "Your user password for your computer is arbitrarily unacceptable to
>> the Fedora Project" is not being excellent either.
>
> Come on, that's sophistry. You can't interpret code as a personal
> insult.

Sure I can. Code is copyrightable language owned by the author if not
in property certainly in the consequences, just like any form of
written communication. I don't actually know the motives of the
Anaconda team, I'm only observing patterns that I think have lead and
continue to lead to questionable outcomes.

The last time this happened Anaconda only considered (questionable)
usability aspects without considering security aspects - that's what
the blow up on devel@ entailed; and this time Anaconda considers the
(questionable) security aspects without considering the usability
aspects.

> (It's not 'arbitrary', anyway. It's using a well-known and widely-used
> password quality library.)

The decision to enforce is what's arbitrary, not the tool being used
to grade the password. If a password library library that arbitrarily
pass/fails passwords, that would at least be funny.

>> > The anaconda-devel-list discussion couldn't really be clearer
>> > about the relationship to the Change proposal - the whole thread
>> > was kicked off by the Change owner:
>> >
>> > https://www.redhat.com/archives/anaconda-devel-list/2015-January/msg00026.html
>>
>> That change proposal was rejected, so how is it that one of its
>> proposed changes has managed to make it through to the installer
>> barely two weeks later?
>
> It's not actually something that is part of the Change's scope, but an
> alternative way to try and achieve the same goal: the overall thought
> process was "well, what the Change proposer really wants is to reduce
> the likelihood of compromise via password access to the root account,
> but no-one was particularly keen on the approach he proposed, so one
> different way to do it is to improve the strength of the root
> password". As bcl's mail explicitly says:
>
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/anaconda-devel-list/2015-January/msg00030.html

That's not the point at all, which is, is it correct policy to
activate a sub-change in a rejected change proposal? And is it prudent
to dig heels in when there's been more negative feedback on that
change presented on anaconda-devel@ and test@ than positive? I can't
even find positive feedback except from the original change owner.

I'm suggesting instead of being presented only on test@, it should
also have been presented on devel@.

> You can argue that the change is significant enough to be a Change, I
> guess, though personally I don't think it really is, unless it affects
> kickstart installs (in which case people would be surprised at their
> kickstarts suddenly not working right any more - but I don't think it
> does). It's a bit hard to argue about, though, since one of the things
> the Change process appears to be missing is an actual definition of
> what should be considered to constitute a 'Change', exactly. It's thus
> impossible to declare conclusively that X or Y *must* be a Change,
> unless FESCo has stated it or something. You can suggest that it
> should be, but it's impossible to make a completely definitive
> declaration since there's literally no basis on which you could do
> that outside of a formal FESCo vote or something.
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Policy

I was thinking of this one
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Policy/Definitions and I think
certainly 1, and probably 5 apply, and though ill-conceived 3 could
apply too seeing as thus far it's only Fedora going down this absurd
road of negative efficacy.

--
Chris Murphy