Re: Does anyone reuse /boot or /var partitions ?

On Thu, 2015-01-22 at 21:21 -0500, Felix Miata wrote:

> Not mounting as boot a partition containing kernels and/or initrds
> in its
> root I could understand and agree with, but not forced reformatting.

As things stand anaconda just doesn't have this degree of precision. I
think I'm right in saying nothing in anaconda looks at the actual
contents of existing partitions at all. It just knows whether there's
already a filesystem on the device, and whether you're reformatting it.

> Whether others might see what I do as sensible I can't say, but what
> I do for
> a first OS installation on a BIOS with software RAID system, I:

So honestly I pretty much consider most multiboot configs more trouble
than they're worth, but what I'm not understanding from any of the
descriptions so far is what actual value you get from sharing a
partition mounted at /boot between multiple distributions?

The point of the partition mounted at /boot *to a Linux distribution*
is that it's where it should install its kernels and things to.
Nothing I've seen so far actually seemed to indicate any situation
where it was useful for one distribution to be able to see another's
kernels.

All the setups discussed so far seem to be based on the design where
you have a 'master' bootloader which chainloads each distro's own
bootloader. OK, but then what's the point of sharing or reusing a
/boot partition?

I don't actually see, in your description, where you need to reuse a
/boot partition. The first OS install creates it fresh, then
subsequent installs don't use it - they have their /boot directories
on their root partitions. You don't actually seem to re-use the
partition you call 'realboot' in a later OS installation at all, do
you? Or am I missing a step somewhere?
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey