Re: fedup failure

On 11/07/2014 05:34 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
On Fri, 2014-11-07 at 16:48 -0800, Per Bothner wrote:
I wanted to try to updating to what will soon be Fedora 21.
I tried using fedup, but failed miserably.  Did I use the correct incantation?

Well. Not according to the release information, which we've been waving
all over the place lately:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Common_F21_bugs#no-fedup-beta

There was no link here, where I looked
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedUp
"Important Changes in the Upgrade process to Fedora 21"

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/Rawhide suggests
run fedup --network rawhide --nogpgcheck --instrepo http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/development/rawhide/$(uname -i)/os/
which I also considered but the initial command seemed to work, in
the sense of downloading 2780/2780 packages.

Can you get any more of a clue if you pass -v ?

Not sure what fixed it, but I did:
(1) Removed /var/cache/system-upgrade
(2) Removed or disabled various repos in /etc/yum.repos.d

Then when I tried:

fedup --network 21 -v --product=workstation --debuglog=/var/log/fedupdebug4.log

it worked.  I'm using Fedora 21/rawhide now.  No major problems or regressions so far.
A trivial "regression" was that Gnome Terminal switched to white-on-black, which was
easily fixed (unclick "Use dark theme variant" in Preferences).

I'll be trying out Fedora 21 as long as it seems tolerable.  Fedora 20 has some
annoyances when it came to resuming after suspending or screen timeouts; Ill be
curious to see if Fedora 21 does better.  So far so good ...

Btw before trying fedup I copied over my root partition to a spare partition, so
I could have a fall-back.  I got that working, after some grub and fstab tweaks,
and disabling selinux.  It might be useful to have a "cookbook" for that; however
in the short term I ran this copy the Gnome environment died at least once (and
I don't know why), so it may not be worthwhile trying to write up what I did.

--
	--Per Bothner