Re: [Test-Announce] Fedora 21 Beta Test Compose 4 (TC4) Available Now!

On Mon, Oct 20, 2014 at 10:01:32 -0400,
 Stephen Gallagher <sgallagh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

So, why does the depsolver suddenly start giving us generic-release
instead of fedora-release? I'm not sure yet, but I have a theory - I
believe fedora-release's dependency chain got longer, and that affects
the depsolver's choice. In fedora-release-21-0.16, a requirement was
added to fedora-release for 'system-release-product', which is provided
by fedora-release-server, fedora-release-nonproduct etc. But
'generic-release' has no such matching requirement (nor do we in fact
have a generic-release-server, generic-release-workstation,
generic-release-nonproduct etc).

So basically you get generic-release because it can satisfy the
'system-release' requirement with a shorter dep chain, because it
doesn't also have to pull in a 'product' package to satisfy the
'system-release-product' dep.

The way this was working was that if you did an excludes in a kickstart file (such as -generic-*) the excluded packages were not available to satisfy dependencies. However this is a relatively recent change and maybe something undid it. In the past packages that absolutely were not to be available to satisfy dependencies were excluded on the repo commands.

And I think your analysis is spot-on. We haven't been keeping the
generic-release-* stuff up to date (I think because it's maintained
separately from the fedora-release-* stuff). Dennis, do you have any
insight here? I know when we talked a few months ago, you were planning
to try to bring these two upstreams together so we could avoid this sort
of thing. Any word on that?

I tried to take a stab at this when we needed a generic-release update for F20 (there was a change in how provides were handled that required changing generic-release to allow it to be used) and there was no source for some of the included files. generic-release is now significantly different from fedora-release and I think it would be better if they had some common upstream.