Re: [Test-Announce] Fedora 21 Beta Test Compose 4 (TC4) Available Now!

> On Fri, 2014-10-17 at 16:52 -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > >
> > > Just installed the KDE Live "spin" to disk and upon bootup found that
> > > the rawhide repo enabled while the rest of the repos were disabled.
> > >
> > > Intentional?
> >
> > No. I'm guessing it's a problem with the change of name in
> > fedora-release - fedora-release-standard was changed to
> > fedora-release-nonproduct. Either there's a problem in comps /
> > spin-kickstarts, or we didn't wait long enough to do the compose, or
> > something. I'll take a look, thanks for the note.
>
> Problem is in the fedora-release shenanigans that went into TC4 -
> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2014-13090/fedora-release-21-0.16 - but I still need to plumb out exactly how. I think the fact that fedora-release now requires 'system-release-product' is contributing.
>
> If you look on the KDE live for TC4 it's actually got completely the
> wrong release packages. It has the generic ones:
>
> [liveuser@localhost ~]$ rpm -qa | grep release
> generic-release-rawhide-21-5.noarch
> generic-release-21-5.noarch
> fedora-release-notes-21.06-1.fc21.noarch
>
> so far what I figure is this. There isn't actually a lot in Fedora which
> directly requires a *release package of some sort. I believe it's just
> the package `setup`, which requires "system-release". Both
> fedora-release and generic-release provide "system-release".
>
> If you use any kickstart to deploy Fedora which doesn't explicitly
> specify one or other provider, you're ultimately going to get whatever
> the depsolver gives you.
>
> The 'environment groups' in comps explicitly require a fedora-release
> package (fedora-release-(product) in the case of Server, Workstation
> etc; fedora-release-nonproduct in the case of KDE etc) so they're OK.
> But the KDE live image doesn't actually use the
> 'kde-desktop-environment' comps group, it just directly lists various of
> the KDE package groups:
>
> %packages
> @kde-apps
> @kde-desktop
> @kde-media
> @kde-telepathy
> @networkmanager-submodules
>
> (in fedora-kde-packages.ks). None of the other live images actually use
> the environment groups either, they do something similar. Workstation is
> OK in TC4 because the Workstation kickstart lists the
> "workstation-product" comps group, and that lists the
> 'fedora-release-workstation' package directly.
>
> You could say we should just go around sticking
> fedora-release-nonproduct in a bunch of comps groups, but I'm not sure
> that's quite the right answer - the whole point of having
> generic-release in the first place is so people can do unbranded
> Fedoras, and that would prevent people doing that.
>
> So, why does the depsolver suddenly start giving us generic-release
> instead of fedora-release? I'm not sure yet, but I have a theory - I
> believe fedora-release's dependency chain got longer, and that affects
> [...]

What's the BZ number there?

And I think your analysis is spot-on. We haven't been keeping the
generic-release-* stuff up to date (I think because it's maintained
separately from the fedora-release-* stuff). Dennis, do you have any
insight here? I know when we talked a few months ago, you were planning
to try to bring these two upstreams together so we could avoid this sort
of thing. Any word on that?