Re: Installation validation matrix revision

On Thu, Oct 02, 2014 at 07:56:43PM -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> Hey, folks!
>
> I spent some time today fiddling around with the installation validation
> matrix. I haven't applied the changes to Beta TC1 to give us some time
> to review/tweak them, but they're in the template:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Template:Installation_test_matrix
>
> so, I did a few things:
>
> * Split several test groups out from the big ugly "Miscellaneous" table
> into their own tables
> * Moved a few test cases from "Miscellaneous" into the storage tables
> * Dropped three duplicated tests
> * Cleaned up the table formatting:
> ** We don't need the ugly nested tables to have collapsible tables with
> nice header lines, you can do it within a single table like this
> ** Dropped all the icky hard-coded column widths, let's just let
> mediawiki sort it out
> ** Made the tables span the full page width (more space!)
> ** Renamed "Release Level" to "Milestone" (it's shorter, and it's the
> term we've been standardizing on across the docs)
> ** Dropped all remaining "test area" columns (not needed with enough
> sub-tables)
> * Moved the instructions and notes we have for a few of the tables
> inside the tables themselves
> * Dropped the sub-sections from the matrix, instead you can wrap table
> titles in <h4></h4> and they show up in the ToC (trick I found in the
> Mediawiki docs)
> * Tried to give each of the zillion tables we now have a color, it's not
> the prettiest - anyone with a better eye than me can find the HTML color
> list at http://www.w3schools.com/tags/ref_color_tryit.asp?color=White
> and go nuts.
>
> Where I created new tables I tried to be strategic about the
> 'environments', because we clearly have just too many tests now to run
> them all in every possible environment. So I tried to reduce the
> environments where possible without hurting test coverage too much. If
> anyone thinks it simplifies things too much in terms of arch coverage,
> yell.

I think the page is a lot cleaner now - also easier to find tests you might be
looking for. Digging through the huge General Tests table was usually a pain.

> Thoughts: wow, the page is getting long. The separate tables make it a
> bit longer, but the table formatting improvements and loss of section
> heads make it a bit shorter, so the changes are kind of a wash, but
> that's *really* a lot of tests on one page.
>
> I think it would be feasible to split it into three: something like
> sanity tests ("Image sanity tests", "Default boot and install", "ARM
> disk images", "Cloud images", "PXE boot tests", "USB stick tests",
> "Virtualization tests"), installation storage tests (all the storage
> stuff) and installer functionality tests (the rest). I actually used
> this split, more or less, to come up with the color scheme (each of
> those 'areas' uses variations on one color). Does that seem like a good
> idea? We'd have more results pages per compose, but each one would be
> shorter. With relval the creation of the results pages is just as easy
> either way (doing it by hand, it gets tedious if there are too many).

I think everyone is pretty used to a single large page. And, now that it's
better organized I think people will have a easier time using it. I'm not
opposed to having several pages, but I like being able to look one place to
see how much coverage we have. Perhaps if there was a way to split them out
but still have an "overview" page showing coverage we could have the best of
both - but I don't know how much work or how possible that is.

> Thoughts #2: there's a little bit of instruction text at the top of the
> page:
>
> "Please click [show] in each table to view the tests of each media
> installation, and click [edit] to post your test results using the
> syntax in Key Section. "
>
> which suggests we initially meant the collapsible tables to be
> *collapsed* by default. Does anyone remember if we ever did that? Does
> anyone think it might be a good idea? (I'm also thinking of collapsing
> the page ToC by default, because it sure takes up a lot of vertical
> space).

I think having them collapsed by default makes sense - but that also gets in
the way of the thing I said I liked earlier, being able to scroll one page and
see coverage. So I guess I'm +/- 1 for collapsing all of the tables. +1 for
collapsing the ToC by default though.

--
// Mike