Re: Fedora 21 at omen.com

On 09/05/2014 10:05 AM, Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX wrote:

On 09/05/2014 07:27 AM, Tim Waugh wrote:
On Thu, 2014-09-04 at 11:05 -0700, Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX wrote:
After installing and running system-config-printer lp and lpr
produce blank pages as previously reported.
Workaround: enscript
We never got anywhere with this, because I needed to see the error_log
from you.
https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/test/2014-August/122317.html

Tigervnc server sessions of the Xfce desktop stop within a
second or so.  I compiled tigervnc from source and tested
that on another machine with the same problem.
Does the desktop get completely painted before VNC stops?

When you compiled it from source, was that from the git repository
(upstream) or from the src.rpm? (I'm wondering about asking you to try
'git bisect'...)

Tim.
*/

I compiled  tigervnc-1.3.1.tar.gz  on a test machine.
No modifications except to add a link for Xvnc.

Today I ran vncserver on that machine with debug set to 100.
I could find any error messages anywhere when the desktop
shown on the calling tigervnc stalled.

I can exit and restart the client and get another snapshot when I reconnect.

******* BUT HERE'S WHERE IT GETS STRANGE ******
I can run tigervnc on the test machine to localhost:1 and vnc apparently
works just fine - the very same vncserver session whose remote display
had stalled moments before.       BTW if a batch file is running on the
test machine when the remote desktop display wedges, the batch file
continues unabated.

I repeated this game several times - each time the remote desktop display
wedged I was able to access the exact same vncserver session via localhost:1
and all was well.   I have not seen the desktop wedge using localhost:1
or omen4:1 called from omen4.

Here is my xstartup file:

#!/bin/sh
set -vx

vncconfig -iconic &
unset SESSION_MANAGER
unset DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS
if [ -f /etc/xdg/xfce4/xinitrc ]; then
  exec sh /etc/xdg/xfce4/xinitrc
fi
if [ -x /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc ]; then
  exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc
fi
if [ -f /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc ]; then
  exec sh /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc
fi
[ -r $HOME/.Xresources ] && xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
xsetroot -solid grey
xterm -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop" &
twm &

I installed a fresh copy of Heisenbug on the test machine and a bunch of
devel files, then compiled and installed   tigervnc-1.3.1.tar.gz
I have not been able to get this combination to wedge.

--
     Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX   caf@xxxxxxxx   www.omen.com