Re: Fedora 21 disk system crashes

On 08/29/2014 01:58 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:
On Sun, 2014-08-24 at 19:57 -0700, Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX wrote:
On 08/24/2014 07:50 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
On 08/25/14 10:11, Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX wrote:
For the third or fourth time the hard disk system has crashed at omen.com
since putting various incarnations of Fedora 21 on it.

This crash seems to be triggered by heavy disk usage.
The result of the crash is that any attempted disk access returns an I/O error.
Functions that do not require disk access continue to work.

The omen.com system runs on an ASUS X79-Deluxe motherboard with
32 GB of memory.  This motherboard has a dozen SATA ports, eight 6Gb/s
and four 3Gb/s.  It also has two power e-SATA ports which I am not using.

I hope this provides some useful information and a heads up.

What is the bugzilla number for this problem?  That is where the useful information goes and where developers can request additional information.

Sorry, I'm not a bugzilla expert.  Use the information I provided or wait
until Fedora 20 general release for others to encounter the problem when
they run their systems under load.
You...didn't really provide any useful information, like logs. From the
sparse information provided, my guess is the most likely explanation is
that you have a dying hard disk.
By the very nature of the problem, there are no logs containing relevant information.
There are no messages about failing drives prior to the crash.
The instant the problem appears there is no more disk i/o, as stated. That means no
log file writing.  Any function which involves disk i/o fails.

After a hardware reset and reboot disk i/o worked fine for hours or days.

--
     Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX   caf@xxxxxxxx   www.omen.com