Re: Proposing new dual booting release criteria

On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 4:08 AM, Chris Murphy <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Aug 24, 2014, at 11:23 AM, Michael Catanzaro <mcatanzaro@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Fedora will not become widely popular if it remains dangerous to install.
>
> At least it doesn't seem more dangerous than any other distribution, but I agree being trustworthy in this area makes it more likely people will install it.

+1

>> Windows
>> =======

(...)
>> I propose the language be amended to the following:
>>
>> "The installer must be able to install into free space alongside an
>> existing clean Windows installation and install a bootloader which can
>> boot into both Windows and Fedora."

>> OS X
>> ====

(...)
>> "The installer must be able to install into free space alongside an
>> existing clean OS X installation and install a bootloader which can boot
>> into both OS X and Fedora, OR the installer must prominently warn the
>> user that he may be unable to boot OS X after installation, allowing the
>> user to cancel installation and reboot to OS X."

All fine, except that we should maybe feel more than a little
concerned about release criteria wordered with *must* and not
*should*, when the dependency is a (rather large) piece of proprietary
software we have no control of and possibly no access to.

François